Shirley Plantation was acquired by the Hill family in 1638. After the death of Edward Hill III in 1726, the plantation passed into the Carter family through Elizabeth Hill (d. 1771) who married John Carter (1696-1742). The house remains in the possession of the Hill Carter descendants. It is believed that the current house dates to ca. 1726.
Today, the house and grounds are open to the public as a historic site. See: http://www.shirleyplantation.com/