The original artist is unknown. The artist Anne Fletcher painted a copy after an original portrait destroyed in the 1926 Governor’s Mansion fire where it was hanging. The photograph is used here as a record of a destroyed original portrait. In 1744, Mary Randolph married Archibald Cary of Ampthill. Based on the poses and costumes, it is likely that John Wollaston painted the original portraits in the 1750s. Wollaston also painted many other Randolph family members. Mary Randolph was the daughter of Richard Randolph and Jane Bolling Randolph of Curles Plantation.
In the copy, the subject wears a blue wrap dress with white lining and lace. She holds a garland of red flowers and leans on a stone plinth.