William Fitzhugh married Ann Lee Randolph. He was the son of Henry Fitzhugh (1706-1742) and Lucy Carter Fitzhugh of Eagle’s Nest. He inherited Eagle’s Nest and Somerset. He built Chatham (1768-1771). It is unclear where the portrait was painted, though the couple’s primary residence was Somerset before they moved to Chatham in 1771. The portrait descended along with his wife’s in the Lee family who were direct descendants.
Dimensions: 49 1/2 x 39 3/4 in. (125.73 x 100.97 cm.)
The subject stands outdoors with his left hand on his hip. He wears a dark jacket and waistcoat with lighter colored trousers. His left hand is gloved and holds his other glove. His right hand is bare and holds up a long rifle. A hat is on a rock behind him. He is standing and angled to his right. In the landscape there is a castle on a cliff and a horse in a clearing. Water is visible in the distance.