Elizabeth “Betty” Washington Lewis was the sister of George Washington. She was the daughter of Augustine Washington and Mary Ball Washington. She married Fielding Lewis in 1750 of Fredericksburg. He built Kenmore in the 1770s. The relationship between this portrait and the other portrait identified as Betty Washington Lewis is unclear, though their faces and hair are nearly identical, suggesting that it may very well be the same sitter.
Dimensions: 30 x 25 in. (76.2 x 63.5 cm.)
The subject wears a blue, Van Dyck-inspired dress with two large breastknots. Pink ribbon and pearls are intwined in her hair. A brown drape is around her right arm. She is turned slightly to her right. She appears inside a painted oval frame.